On February 26, 1993, I was working as a Senior Court Officer at the Grand Jury in Queens Supreme Court. At about 12:30 pm, I looked at my pager and noticed a 10-76, A signal for a high rise building fire. It was reported to be a Transformer fire at the World Trade Center. A few minutes later a signal 10-45 was transmitted for severely injured persons at the WTC. A minute later 2nd and 3rd alarms were transmitted very quickly. I continued to look at my pager. It was lunch time, the 4th and 5th alarms were transmitted, A borough call to Brooklyn was transmitted for a 3rd alarm assignment to respond to the fire. I signed out from work and changed out of my uniform. I got into my car and headed for the WTC. It took me about 40 minutes to get to the scene. When I got to the scene I did not notice any fire. There was a very light smoke condition coming out of the parking garage. I took a few photos of people who were being treated for smoke inhalation. A lot of people who worked in the building were being evacuated by firefighters. There were numerous emergency vehicles all over the streets around the WTC. I went inside the lobby of the WTC, I looked around and then left. Across the street, A Police Chopper landed. I was told that they took a pregnant women off the roof of one of the towers. I was still under the impression that it was a transformer fire that knocked out the power for the WTC. It just looked like a huge fire drill. I did not stick around too long, After about 15 minutes, I left the scene and went home. When I got home I put on the TV. I was watching reports live from the scene. The newscasters were now calling it a bombing. If I had know it was a bombing at the time I was at the scene, I probably would not have left the scene so fast and I would have taken a lot more photos at the WTC.

Numerous emergency vehicles on West Street.

The FDNY Command Post

The North Tower is on the left side of the photo and the Vista Hotel (which became the Marriott) is next to North Tower, ahead is the South pedestrain bridge over West Street.

Firefighters took out the windows to vent the heavy smoke condition in the lobby.

An injured woman is rushed to an ambulance

This smoke inhalation victim is receiving oxygen.

A pregnant woman is being brought out of the Merv to an awaiting ambulance.

I took this photo in the lobby of one of the towers.

An NYPD chopper just evacuated a pregnant female from the roof of one of the towers.


FOR MORE INFORMATION e-mail: Steven Spak

[Return to Main page]